FAQ Tenants

Should the letting agent provide me with the landlord's contact details?

Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, the agent is required to provide the tenant at commencement of the tenancy or within 21 days of a written request with an address in England and Wales for the tenant to serve notice should they need to. It cannot be a PO Box number. The agent does not have to provide telephone numbers. Details are normally contained within the tenancy agreement.


When might I need a Guarantor?

If we feel your income is lower than that required for the rent in question or if you are returning to study for example, we could ask for a guarantor to support your tenancy. This is a serious commitment, as the guarantor will be as responsible as the tenant for all monies due and obligations agreed for the tenancy. Guarantors need to be earning sufficiently to cover both their own financial commitments as well as your rent and we will reference them in the same way as the actual Tenant.


What references will you ask for?

In all cases we will ask for your address history so that we can carry out a search via a Credit Reference Agency. We will also approach your current Landlord or Agent (if you are renting) as well as obtaining a written reference from your Employer. If you are self-employed we will ask for your Accountants details and/or recent accounts. We have special provisions in place for Overseas Tenants. If you think your situation is unusual, just ask our staff.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent is paid monthly in advance by standing order from your bank. We are unable to accept cash or card payments.


What about pets?

In general most of our Landlord's do not accept pets in their properties. However pets are allowed in some properties. Where this is the case it will usually be marked on the property particulars. An extra deposit will be required in these circumstances.


Do I need insurance?

YES! You should consider taking out insurance against any damage you might accidentally cause to the Landlord's contents, buildings and fixtures and fittings. It's all too easy to drop the iron on the carpet or spill red wine. The Landlord will only insure the building and their belongings.


What do you mean by furnished or unfurnished?

In general unfurnished means you can expect carpets, curtains, light fittings and a cooker to be provided by the Landlord. Furnished means that all furniture and white goods should be included as well. Some properties are Part Furnished, where the Landlord is only supplying certain items. It is advisiable to check exactly what items will be supplied before committing to a tenancy We will supply you with an inventory showing exactly what is included with each property.


Why do I need to pay a deposit?

This is money which can be used to pay for any damage to the property which is the fault of the tenant and not considered to be general wear and tear. It is not given to the landlord but is transferred to the Deposit Protection Service, where it is held for the term of the tenancy

What fees will I need to pay

Once your application has been accepted in principle, you will be asked for a Referencing Fee. This is to cover the cost of taking up references and performing credit checks.

How long will the tenancy be?

Virtually all tenancies will be for an initial fixed term of 6 months. Some tenancies will be for 12 months if both landlord and tenant prefer a longer initial term. Student tenancies are usually for 10 or 12 months.

Do I deal with the landlord or the Letting Agent?

It depends on whether the property is managed by the Agent once you have moved in. We will give you all the required information prior to moving into the property

Can the landlord or Letting Agent come round whenever they like?

No. We will always make an appointment to visit your property and we will always give you at least 24 hours notice, unless it is an emergency.